Sunday, March 27, 2011

Just a personal thought about Parker....

I don't know how many of you are familiar with the Old Testament story of Hannah and her son Samuel. It is from the 1st book of Samuel and I encourage anyone who might need a bit of a spiritual uplift to check it out. The story isn't long, but is one that has impacted me from the moment I knew I was pregnant with Parker until even now as I write this post. I have often had this feeling that I personally connect with this story and that there is some kind of a lesson there that I need to understand with regards to Parker. To be honest though....I am not really sure why because Hannah and I have no similarities other than that we both married great men and we both had/have sons that we adored. I guess I will just have to be patient and see as Parker's life unfolds why exactly this association resonates so deeply within me.

I was out at Deseret Book store the other day and came across this picture of a mother and son. It stopped me in my tracks. I was so drawn to it that everything else blocked out for a moment. It shouldn't have surprised me that it was an artist's depiction of little Samuel and his mother Hannah.  Now in all fairness this little boy looks like the Wee One for sure. His tiny body taking a step, his gentle holding of his mother's hand, and even his blond hair. I bet if he could turn forward and face the viewer he would even have Parker's eye color.  But another big reason this painting stuck out to me was Hannah's prominent Roman nose and facial structure that reminded me of my own!! It's like someone took a picture of a private moment between Parker and I from hundreds of years ago and then painted it on a canvas.
I know Parker has quite an adventurous life in store for him. And maybe someday the Lord will make clear to me why this story seems to resonate so deeply with me but until then I just plan to adore him for every minute I can!

3 comments:

Mom & Marcus said...

Stephanie,
This is so very beautiful. Yes it does look like you and Parker taken way back in time. Maybe Hannah's story connects so because Hannah is such a loving, giving mother and Samuel is her precious jewel - just like you two.

Kim said...

thanks so much for sharing this Steph-- what a beautiful post. And you're right: that pic does look like you and Parker! I also can't wait to find out why it resonates with you, but I think your mom had a great guess! I love you so much, and Parks is so very special. You all are. What a precious, special family you all are.

JudyL said...

Steph - I can only echo Geri & Kim.....love, Aunt J