Sunday, October 17, 2010

Son of a son, son of a son, son of a son of a sailor!


"As the son of a son of a sailor I went out on the sea for adventure...expanding the view of the captain and crew like a man just released from indenture......"So at night Danny and I have taken to putting Parks to sleep with a lullaby or two. Danny's usually revolve around a church hymn or a Jack Johnson song and mine tend to just be all over the place. But last night as I was putting Parks to sleep I became a little nostalgic for home and the song that came to mind was the Jimmy Buffett tune Son Of A Sailor. As I sang to him I found myself thinking of Florida beaches and many warm lazy afternoons spent lying out on them when I probably should have been busily doing other things. Those thoughts then turned to old friends and some rather great memories.....I got a little misty eyed I must admit. Funny how a song can invoke such a trip down memory lane. Once Parks had nodded off and I laid him in his crib I vowed to make sure he has as much exposure to the beach as possible. Heck this kid's grandpa and great grandpa used to own a marina and worked as fishing guides in the Gulf. So he gets it from both sides and I think it just might be in his blood! I don't know how I am going to make beach time possible for Parks, while living in land locked Utah but that kid is gonna get some beach lovin somehow and somewhere so help me! "The seas in my veins my tradition remains...." :)

3 comments:

Mom & Marcus said...

I just wish I could be in Florida!!!!!!! We understand and we love Florida like you do. Go for it and come visit when you can. We love you all so much,
Mom&Marcus

nolechick said...

Mother, mother ocean, I have heard you call
Wanted to sail upon your waters since I was three feet tall
You've seen it all, you've seen it all

That has to be one of my favs!! There is nothing like having the beach so close. Not sure how I will handle not being so close to it.

Matt and Jami said...

Growing up in Utah, Bear Lake is about as close to beach living as you can get, and its fun! We are coming to Utah in December and we would love to get together with you and Danny (& little Parker too) when we are there! (btw, love the picture of Parker in your blog header, he is ADORABLE!!)
Matt & Jami Copelin